Sunday, September 25, 2011

Confession

Confession: I love rules.
And order.
And knowing what to expect.
And when to expect it.
Chaos is not my friend, although it's growing on me a bit with this house full of kids.
Labor and delivery were difficult for me because I couldn't pencil my kids' arrivals on my calendar and know just when they were going to arrive.

When rules are broken, consequences should be enforced. This is what we are trying to teach our children. It's not always how the world works, though.

I got my first speeding ticket (ever) last weekend and Brinley was with me. I tried to tun it into a teachable moment, but I'm not so sure her three year-old self got it. She was very interested in what was going on and talking a mile a minute.

It really frustrates me when people get out of tickets because of who they know. If someone breaks a rule, they should deal with the consequence.

This is why I'm paying for my ticket. Kind of ridiculous that $61 is fees right off the top- that I could do without! It's an expensive lesson, but I knew the rules and I was breaking them. I will certainly be more aware of my speed now. I'm sure I deserved a ticket on many occasions, anyway. She knocked it down a little bit because I was honest and told her that I just wasn't paying attention.

That's what I hope my kids take from this: follow the rules, play fair, be honest, and accept the consequences for your actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment