Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Full of Good Things

On Sunday after a church breakfast where my children were well-behaved (thank-you-very-much!), an older gentleman commented on our way out the door "I can see you have your hands full!" Can I just say that comments like that drive me completely crazy?!

Especially after a morning when my kids were enjoying donuts and coloring relatively quietly. If you're going to comment, at least choose a time when things are really nuts. Like when we're trying to grocery shop and one kid is trying to climb out of the Ergo and the other two are whining and fighting with each other while completely ignoring the fun kid-friendly grocery lists I had prepared for them.

I saw this posted on a friend's facebook page and it's from an article at Desiring God Ministries. Here is an excerpt:

Motherhood is not a hobby, it's a calling. It is not something that you do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for.

Lately, I've been a little overwhelmed with appointments for my kids. Here's the rundown on the past few months and the next few weeks:

* 3 well visits
* 3 dental appointments
* 2 orthodontist appointments
* 5 hearing tests
* 2 vision tests for baby girl, including 1 at a pediatric eye doctor
* 1 Early Intervention assessment
* 3 speech therapy home visits
* Twice weekly speech therapy visits at school
* 2 busted lips

It seems like someone is always needing something pretty out of the ordinary. But somehow we've made it all work. We've been able to schedule most appointments for the Friday afternoons when I leave work early,  we have had some great providers to work with, and things are falling into place.

When it gets a little crazy, I try to remind myself that motherhood is a calling. Those little moments that I share with my kids each day are meaningful and impactful. God chose me to be the mama of these three children, of all the zillions of kids out there, for a specific purpose. There may not be a lot of "me" time in the midst of packing lunches and wiping noses, but this is what God gave me time for. Right now it's morning snuggles, dance parties, nail painting, board games and getting cozy on the couch while reading bedtime books. I am savoring these good things each day.

As she closes her article, Rachael Jankovic responds to that comment of "You have your hands full!" with "Yes, full of good things!"


No comments:

Post a Comment