Thursday, January 5, 2012

Couponing 101

Here's the method to my couponing madness...

  • I started "seriously" couponing about 2 years ago when Sarah Wimer walked us through the basics at a MOPS meeting.
  • I do like to watch "Extreme Couponing" on TLC. 
  • Unlike most of the people on that show, I do not buy 123 of each item just because I can. 
  • I buy items I use and need mostly, but if something is free or I'm making money by buying it, I'm going to take advantage of that! 
  • I don't like to clear a shelf if I can avoid it
  • My favorite stores are CVS, Rite Aid, Target and Martin's.
  • I use coupons for everything: chain stores, local stores, gas, restaurants, etc.
  • When my (small) stockpile gets too big, I donate.
  • I usually buy one local paper ($.50) on Saturday to get the coupon inserts. If there are a lot of inserts, like the 4 there were last week, I may get 2 or 3. I also have some co-workers who bring me their coupons every week.
  • If the store is out of an advertised sale item, I always get a Rain Check- these usually have no expiration date. I've been holding on to a CVS Rain Check for saline for about a month since it is never in stock when I'm there. Yesterday it was in stock and there was a $1 coupon on the front, which means that I got PAID $1 to buy saline which my husband and I use daily for our contacts. Score!
  • I clip my coupons, which some people do not. I like to be able to carry them with me in case I see something on sale or clearance (cha-ching!) that I didn't have on my list. Every few weeks I clean out my coupon organizer and get rid of expired ones. I have a pretty good idea of what type of coupons I have in my stash most of the time.
  • I started using websites like For the Mommas to help me match up deals, but now I can mostly do it on my own. 
  • You have to check the specifics of each item. Make sure your coupons and the sales are on the correct size, brand, type, etc. Some coupons are $2/2, meaning you would need to purchase 2 of that item to use the coupon.
  • My favorite sales are usually Buy One Get One Free (BOGO) and then you can use 2 coupons (one per item), giving you really good prices
  • If there are coupons in a store (a blinkie, tear pad, etc) but that item isn't currently on sale, take one for later or match it with a deal at another store.
  • If you like For the Mommas and your favorite stores on Facebook, you can get links for deals and extra coupons.
  • Make sure you check your local store's policy on coupons. Some will only accept a certain number of coupons per item, etc.
Here's what I like about each store:
CVS
  • The store is neat and organized, I know the whole layout, the staff are friendly and enjoy watching you rack up the Extra Bucks as much as you do
  • You need a CVS card to get the Extra Bucks and other deals like quarterly Extra Bucks and other stuff. Each time you enter the store, scan your card at the little kiosk for additional coupons. If it's not a great deal now, save it as that may be on sale next week.
  • Extra Bucks. These are basically coupons of CVS money that you can use on a future purchase of any amount. The first time you buy items with Extra Bucks, you'll spend a little more out of pocket. But then you can "roll them over" and use them to buy other things that come with Extra Bucks, making the fun and free last longer.
  • The store ads (online or print) often show you the match ups exactly- like "X Item for X price, X EB and X coupons in most papers = X price.
  • Purchase a Green Bag tag for $.99 and get $1 Extra Bucks every 4th time you bring your own reusable bags and they scan the tag. Sometimes they even scan the tag if I forgot my bags- shhh!
Rite Aid
  • The store is right around the corner from my house, so I can usually go at night when it's not crowded and alone after my kids are in bed!
  • You need a Wellness Rewards card to get the deals and +Up Rewards
  • +Up Rewards are pretty much the same as CVS Extra Bucks
  • You'll also get occasional other coupons like 10% off a shopping trip
  • Rite Aid circulars sometimes include Rite Aid coupons that you can pair with a manufacturer's coupon on the same item
Target
  • Love, love, love this store!
  • You can pair Target coupons (sometimes come randomly by mail and many others can be printed from their website) and manufacturer's coupons on an item
  • Often have good stuff on end cap clearance that I can match coupons with, mostly in Health & Beauty
  • $.05 discount for every reusable bag you bring/use

Martin's
  • Doubles coupons up to $1. So if the coupon is $.20 it will double to $.40, if it's $.50 it will double to $1 and if it's $.75 it will still only double to $1
  • Only doubles the first coupon for each item. If you buy 10 of the same thing with 10 $.50 coupons, only the first will be $1, the rest will be $.50
  • Often they have deals like buy a ham and get 2 free side dishes- get all of it and use a coupon on every item if you can, making the price even lower
Remember, coupons are like free money!

3 comments:

  1. Kim -

    Another trick I use is when I get "bonus bucks" or gift cards - like at Target - I split my order, putting the items with the extra money in the first order and applying the money to the second. That way I don't have to remember to use it later.

    Glad you guys are doing great! Have fun at Great Wolfe, the kids love it : )
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you prefer Martin's over Kroger? I always seem to do better couponing at Kroger but have only been doing it a few months?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hardly ever go to Kroger and I'm not sure why!

    ReplyDelete