Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Comedy of Errors

Last Monday I flew to Atlanta for a camp conference, leaving my husband alone with the cutie pies for 3 nights. Friends wished him good luck and he seemed perplexed as he told me "I'll be fine!" Here's how the week went down:

Sunday night: snow is expected for Sunday night/Monday morning. Reports range from "not much" to "8-15 inches." I start to worry as I'm flying out of a smallish airport an hour away, over winding mountain roads.

Late Sunday night: I finally get around to packing and peek outside to some tiny snow flakes- nothing really.

Monday early morning: we wake up to ZERO snow. I check my phone and have received an alert that school is canceled due to snow. My children are very confused. Apparently there was some accumulation on the other side of the county. Brayden was able to go to daycare for the day, which was perfect since Kenny had to drive to Norfolk for work that day- causing all kinds of other potential headaches.

Monday mid-morning: Kenny drops me at the airport on his way to Norfolk. I arrive a little early, thinking I'll enjoy lunch before my flight and discover there are no restaurants at this small airport. Chips and a Twix it is.

Monday 1:00 pm: Kenny's parents arrive at our house to get our mini van so that they can take Bristol to the doctor for what I think is probably another ear infection. She's had fever off and on and was super clingy and cranky all weekend. We neglected to unlock the glass screen door and they cannot get into the house. They don't have a car seat for Bristol in their car. After calling Kenny in a panic, they go to the daycare and they have an extra car seat they can borrow and the director even straps it in the car for them.

Monday 2:00 pm. They make it to the appointment on time. Of course, Bristol does not have an ear infection. She's fine. Thank you for your $30 copay.

The rest of the week involved Bristol and Brinley throwing up in their beds (on different nights), Kenny missing a day of work being sick, and the general chaos that is our house. His parents helped out a lot.

Meanwhile, I was looking forward to my 3 nights of mini-vacation in a hotel room alone and didn't sleep well at all. It was too quiet, the noise in the hall/next door was too loud, my throat hurt, the sheets wouldn't stay put, and on and on.

It was fun, but I'm glad to be home. I think Kenny's glad, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment